Blueprint for Landing Clients With Email

Ed Gandia here, at the helm of The Writer's Life. This week is all about landing top clients with less effort.

Today, I'll show you how you can use simple emails to get hired by high-paying clients.

Hopefully you had a chance to watch yesterday's video. In that video (full transcript included on that page),I showed you why "warm calling" with email is the way to go as far as marketing your freelance business … when you do it right.

In today's video, I get into a lot more detail. I show you my actual blueprint for generating hot leads by sending simple and short email messages to select prospects.

Play Video

(Full transcript included + PDF Mindmaps for Prospecting and Blueprint)

Please post a comment to let me know what you think. Or post any questions you may have about this strategy. I'll personally reply to as many questions as possible.

Also, feel free to share the link with others (you'll find some social media sharing buttons on that page).

Join the Professional Writers’ Alliance for $29

The Professional Writers’ Alliance

PWA is a professional organization dedicated to helping writers improve their skills, network and find exciting projects. Along with a long list of member benefits that include thousands of dollars worth of professional content, learning events, paid projects, premium writing tools and more … all dues can be applied dollar for dollar toward AWAI’s programs and events. Register by June 30 to lock in the special rate!

Published: March 5, 2013

56 Responses to “Blueprint for Landing Clients With Email”

1. Thank you for this! It comes at a great time for me. I've been putting off getting my prospective client spreadsheet together and this gave me a boost. When you talk about having different ICP lists, do you mean different industries, company sizes, B2B vs. B2C... that kind of thing? Thanks again, Ed.

Julie HassettMarch 5, 2013 at 12:12 pm

2. Really helpful. I can do this.

Guest (Pat M)March 5, 2013 at 3:06 pm

3. Thank you so much for sharing your techniques for success. I recently purchased the Six Figure Copywriting program and hope to implement your warm email prospecting as soon as I complete the program. It is very refreshing to receive real information and not a sales presentation for yet another program. The information is presented in an easy to follow format. Great Job and Thank you!

Guest (Cheryl Lyons)March 5, 2013 at 3:09 pm

4. Ed, I tried email prospecting a couple of years back. My first email went out, and I got one response back that scared heck out of me. This guy owned a company I wanted to do biz with. He says in essence "I am a lawyer/business owner. Your email, sent without my permission, is spam. As such, I plan to sue you if you do not remove my name from your email list." Whew...haven't emailed any prospects since. Planning, instead, to use old fashioned direct mail, which doesn't require permission.

Guest (Phil)March 5, 2013 at 3:12 pm

5. This series has come at exactly the right time for me, Ed. Your blueprint makes me excited, & I can't wait for the rest of your videos.

I have been using much the same approach,but without a proper plan (blueprint) & with no real method.

This is just what I need; it matches my style & will enable me to reach my goal more quickly.

BTW, while the slides and screen shots are good for notetaking, I agree with yesterday's commenter - your presence on video is good - easy to watch & listen to.

Ann Jordan-MillsMarch 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm

6. Can I call your video series an answer to prayers without sounding too dramatic? I am just about ready to bring my cause copywriting services to market, and I don't have a clue how to get started. Do I call my local chamber of commerce? Start pounding the pavement? Crack open the phone book? Maybe, but I'd much rather get started with your warm email techniques. I'm not a salesman by nature, but I can do it under the right circumstances. I like the circumstances warm email seems to create.

Looking forward to your next video.

Guest (Tom)March 5, 2013 at 3:33 pm

7. Ed, Thanks! This is incredibly timely for me and your information is so helpful. I'm already encouraged, and look forward to tomorrow's segment.

Karen SMMarch 5, 2013 at 3:44 pm

8. Hi Ed,

I have reviewed your videos and I find them to be both very well put together and informative.

I have been sharpening my skills as a Freelance Writer since 2010 and I consider this one of the more informative articles that I have seen. Kudos to you Ed.

Guest (Rubinstyn Bluthenthal)March 5, 2013 at 3:59 pm

9. Hi Ed, Guillermo here from Costa Rica, I've been learning about AWAI in the past days, and planning to become a member.
    Also I'm in another kind of business to affiliate people with an honest opportunity to make money.
    Is it possible your techniques will work in another niche of the Market?
    Gracias!

Guest (Guillermo)March 5, 2013 at 4:02 pm

10. Hey Ed.
    Good job. As someone on the receiving end of those solicitations I was much more interested in replying to someone who took the time to know me before getting in touch.

The only ones that I found annoying were the ones which, after I responded, put me on the list of some auto-responder that started pressuring me to engage them for a demo or asked me questions related to my buying timeline.

But for those that let me work in my own good time, my door opened.

Thanks for the video!

DAVIDWPMarch 5, 2013 at 4:07 pm

11. Awesome! I've been emailing prospecting a little and getting a good response rate but this ties it all together. Thanks so much Ed!

Guest (Michelle Durham)March 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm

12. Hi Ed, When I first decided last summer to begin a transition to freelance copywriting, I was all on my own. I started writing a brochure to market myself and realized I hadn't a clue how to approach prospects or what they actually needed. I have a good writing skill set, but how to present myself? This set of videos and your program exactly address my question about how to approach prospects. You are very generous in sharing as much as you have by video.

Many thanks.

Linda LaneMarch 5, 2013 at 4:51 pm

13. Gosh, Ed, you have obviously come through the fire. Thanks for sharing this valuable information with beginners like me who are floundering around trying to figure out what to do next.

Guest (David Holden)March 5, 2013 at 5:08 pm

14. Thanks for this informative video. I now have another way that I'm going to prospect for clients when I'm set up. Can't wait to see the next video.

Guest (Melvin)March 5, 2013 at 5:13 pm

15. Ed, Both the first and second videos were very informative and inspiring. I'm thinking about going freelance this year and listening to you makes it seem possible. Thanks!

Laura DruryMarch 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm

16. Thanks Ed, this video series is starting the learning curve for me in such a good way. Your reasoning and explanations make digital sense to me.
    I really believe that an aspiring copywriter's perserverence is directly linked to her/his confidence based on real knowledge; you are doing a great job providing this copywriter with that.

R C KeownMarch 5, 2013 at 6:15 pm

17. Hi Ed! Thanks for this information and the refreshing format for presenting it! I am just getting started in this business and hope I can remember all of your techniques. I am eagerly anticipating the next video; keep up the excellent work!

Joe ReynoldsMarch 5, 2013 at 7:25 pm

18. Thanks Ed, for giving us a system that we can use and not have to pay for. Those of us who do not have prior experience can use your system and get some clients. Thank You So Much

Brenda RoanMarch 5, 2013 at 8:37 pm

19. Thanks Ed. I've been sending out painfully slow emails to companies the last two weeks (only 5 or 6 daily b/c of the research involved). After watching your video, I saw that my template email had about 200 wds. I cut some and got it down to 150. Will try for the 100 - 125 you suggested. Thanks for the tip!

Mike DMarch 5, 2013 at 10:36 pm

20. This video came at just the right time. I've been struggling to find viable clients. This warm email approach is exactly what I need. Thanks for sharing your blueprint for email prospecting.
    I can't wait for the next video. I'm in this business for the long haul. Thanks again!

Cocoe78March 5, 2013 at 11:52 pm

21. Ed, Thanks for sharing all this info with us. I was currently in the process of setting up my marketing plan and this helps immensely. Gives me some better insight and a different approach than I was thinking of. I look forward to your next video.
    Thanks again

JimGMarch 6, 2013 at 1:17 am

22. Thank you Ed. I appreciate you sharing your time and experience with us. The writing aspect of copywriting doesn't scare me nearly as much as the marketing side. This seems to be a great way to "get my feet wet" while gaining confidence in my skills.

Guest (Chava)March 6, 2013 at 12:58 pm

23. Ed, Thanks so much for your refreshing presentation. I, too, am glad to finally receive an email from AWAI, that provides helpful information, instead of a link to yet another "required purchase" program. (Although an advanced techniques video from you should do really well!) I've been successful in sales for over 30 years; and in that time I've used every approach that would work. Thanks, for reminding me of the specific benefits of your approach, with regard to freelance copywriting.

Guest (Randall)March 6, 2013 at 1:06 pm

24. Hi Ed, Thanks. I'm just embarking on this great adventure and this seems like a tangible step that's do-able. I do appreciate it!

Guest (Doc)March 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm

25. Thanks Ed! I have been contemplating about sending emails and you gave me a strategy that sounds logical and safe: looking forward to your next video...:)

CarolineMarch 6, 2013 at 4:24 pm

26. Ed, Your comments are great. Your warm email concept reflects the heart of all great marketing copy. Only the prospects issues are important here. When you convince them you can help--you have a customer.
    Your decision to never enter sales reminded me of the time I told my dad that I would never become a builder like him. 35 years later I retired from a custruction career.

Guest (Geoff)March 7, 2013 at 7:40 pm

27. Loved the first 2 videos--direct and to the point--and it all makes sense besides! Marketing myself is by far my greatest fear as I get ready to take the plunge (full-time) into copywriting. It reminds me of how I suffered selling Girl Scout cookies every year. Very helpful videos!

Guest (cazwrite)March 7, 2013 at 8:24 pm

28. Hey Ed, really liked this video. Doing some research to connect with the prospect is a great idea. Then they know it isn't a mass email. I guess the biggest problem would be getting them to open it up in the first place. With viruses and stuff being what they are, a lot of people are reluctant to open email when they don't know the sender. (at least the people in my present field are)

Guest (Laurie)March 8, 2013 at 10:03 am

29. Re: spam, according to the CAN-SPAM Act, marketers (or anyone) are allowed to send one 'unsolicited' email = without permission; thereafter, users must opt in and have the ability to opt out of your list with each subsequent message.

Guest (FastNet)March 8, 2013 at 2:15 pm

30. Great video, Ed, with excellent information. Now for the most important step - take action! Thanks for sharing!

Jay AltmanMarch 12, 2013 at 6:55 pm

31. This approach makes so much sense! I think it's the interest and understanding you show in the prospect's business (the WARM part!) that gets the job done. Thanks so much!
    As a former insurance sales producer, I used the "Polk directory" for business information, but know there are online directories available. Any you recommend to get company info., and especially names and e-mail addresses?

Debra MTMarch 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm

32. Great job as usual Ed. You always have relevant information to share.

Question: does anyone know a website that will test your copy to be sure it is not classified as "spam"?

Thanks for the video.