Formula for a Profitable Freelance Business

What does having a profitable freelance business mean to you?

Rebecca Matter here.

To me it means having a business that meets your financial goals while working reasonable hours … having solid skills that clients value … and having plenty of clients who are willing to pay you very well for those skills.

This week in The Writer’s Life, I’m going to share with you my simple but effective formula for ensuring you end up with a profitable freelance writing business.

Of course, in order to have a profitable writing business, you need to first decide what kind of writing you feel most passionate about.

So, before we jump into my formula, I want to make sure you’ve chosen a path.

If you already know what kind of writing business you want – good. The rest of this week, we’ll work on making it profitable.

But, if you haven’t chosen your niche yet, I want you to make the decision today.

That’s right, today.

Whether you decide to go with copywriting, web writing, resume writing, travel writing, grant writing, internet research for writers … it doesn’t matter.

But the first step to living the writer’s life is choosing a path.

If you want help making that decision, you can access an essay I wrote on the topic here. It takes into consideration why you’re doing this in the first place and what your version of the writer’s life looks like.

Just know that whatever path you choose, you can be successful.

AWAI has been helping people live the writer’s life since 1997. We know how to create programs that give people everything they need to succeed.

And we require our experts to be the real deal. Not just good teachers, but people who are making a lot of money doing what they’re teaching you to do.

All you have to do is choose your path, and our experts will guide you the rest of the way.

The key is not to put a ton of pressure on choosing the “right” path. Just because you make a decision today doesn’t mean you have to stick with it for life.

You can always change direction down the line, or add another path into the mix. And it’ll be a lot easier to do, since you’ll have experience under your belt.

Now, if you ask me for my recommendation, I’m going to tell you to start with copywriting.

Why?

Because with huge and growing opportunities like the business-to-business market (B2B), the web, and social media, you have the potential to make as much money as you want and truly live the lifestyle you desire.

And to be honest, even if you end up going down another path like travel writing, resume writing, or grant writing, having a foundation in persuasive writing (i.e., direct-response copywriting) will make you a more effective writer in all those other areas.

You’ll also find it easier to land clients in whatever field you choose, because you’ll understand how to write persuasively and how to sell your value to prospects.

Copywriting is definitely the most adaptable path you can choose.

All right – it’s action time.

Choose your path and share it with me here.

If you feel torn between two writing niches, add a comment and I’ll help you make the decision once and for all. And if you just can’t choose one for some reason, tell me what’s holding you back. I’ll help you push past it.

Tomorrow, we’ll start down that path with my proven formula for ensuring a profitable freelance writing business.

Register for the 2015 Web Copy Intensive

Join us at AWAI’s 2015 Web Copywriting Intensive, and we guarantee you’ll walk away with specific web-writing knowledge 99.9% of today’s working copywriters don’t have … as well as a paid, web-writing job from AWAI. Register by December 11th and save $1,500!

Published: February 10, 2014

171 Responses to “Formula for a Profitable Freelance Business”

1. Hi Rebecca, I am an Infinity member and have access to all courses. I believe I might have gone through all of them, literally. But somehow I don't seem to stick with 1 and make that important move forward. I would like to quit my full time job asap, and replace the salary. I don't want to write long sales letters, I'm looking for short and quick projects. These programs attract me most: Catalog Copywriting, B2B, Graphic Design. I think what's holding me back is the doubt of getting clients.

Guest (Sasha)February 10, 2014 at 8:52 am

2. I'm in the cuffs of moving aboard for good....if you know what I mean...I would like to start Copywriting as a means of potenial income. I would like to have a mentor show me the ropes, and aide an assist in providing information towards relocating to South America..but I would like to hone in on my income skills, First!!...Need Help!....lol..Johnnie

Guest (Johnnie)February 10, 2014 at 10:40 am

3. @Sasha - it's good that you've identified what you think is holding you back (getting clients). But I think what's also holding you back is a lack of a clear path. Choose one of those paths today - B2B, or catalog, or design. You can always do the others, but I want you to choose one to start with. We have plenty of instruction on how to land clients. But step one is choosing the path. So do that, and then we'll talk about getting clients later this week. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 11:05 am

4. @Johnnie - there are so many expat copywriters at AWAI!! I recommend jumping on the AWAI Facebook page or Groupsite forum and connecting with some of your fellow AWAI members who are now living overseas. Of course it all starts with getting the skills - so also jump into the Six-Figure program right away and build your copywriting skills once and for all. Just remember, you're not alone - and successful AWAI members are always more than willing to help people follow in their footsteps.

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 11:20 am

5. Definitely B2B for me. I set up my Web site 4 years ago, but I'm quite comfortable in my day job and am not finding time or motivation to be tenacious about this. But hey, I've got your Step One done and chose my path.

Guest (Gary)February 10, 2014 at 1:15 pm

6. I am just starting the AWAI copywriting course and, down the road apiece, as we used to say in Wisconsin, I want to take the B2B course as well. I am uncertain which niche to choose but am fairly clear that it will not be fiction. Perhaps travel writing, perhaps social media and email. I'll just have to see where I'm led as I progress in the course.

HeidiWalterFebruary 10, 2014 at 1:41 pm

7. I've already settled on mine: an events and products copywriter, not a matter of if but just when for me. Turning it into a profitable niche for myself is just ... getting there. I'm anxious, trying not to be. Mentors are always helpful!

Guest (Nathan)February 10, 2014 at 2:18 pm

8. I've chosen to pursue event planners, those that specialize in corporate events, as my niche. I feel that this will be a profitable as either a direct client or as a referral for other businesses. I'm hoping that the experience will lead to doing work for trade show managers, then to convention centers, and finally to tourism councils and economic development councils.

Guest (John Lee)February 10, 2014 at 2:24 pm

9. I do B2B, online copywriting. I'm working on expanding out my skills to offer all the different aspects of this niche

Julia StoverFebruary 10, 2014 at 2:25 pm

10. I'm thrilled to say I just finished The Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting! Last year I took Nick Usborne's Money-Making Websites course and set up my site about how to create a profitable YouTube channel. I've been reading a lot on AWAI about the surge in Video Sales Letters (VSLs). So, I think a good niche for me will be to combine my love of video (can't get enough of YouTube!) and my new direct-response copywriting skills and focus on writing and producing VSLs.

Elizabeth BlessingFebruary 10, 2014 at 2:26 pm

11. @Gary - awesome! Comfortable is a good place to be. It will allow you to "limp in" to things and build your business up before making the leap. And I'll do my best to keep pushing you forward this week. ~ Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 2:30 pm

12. @HeidiWalter - I like that saying! Definitely choose your niche before you move into another program after the Six-Figure course. Just to make sure you don't waste any time or money. If you know you want to do B2B and just need help choosing a niche within B2B, there's a bonus with the program that helps you do it. Otherwise there's loads of content on this site on choosing a niche, or else Pam Foster's program is awesome (in our catalog). Keep on trucking!! - Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 2:35 pm

13. @Nathan - you're on your way! The goal now is to come up with the list of ideal clients, and start marketing your services. We'll talk more about that on Thursday. Keep going!! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 2:41 pm

14. @John Lee – sounds like you have a good plan. Now it’s time to start making a list of potential clients and get contacting. We’ll talk more about that on Thursday. Also map out how each of these groups of clients may feed into the next. Just so you can plan ahead …

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 2:46 pm

15. @ Julia Stover Excellent! Lead generation and online content are hot in B2B right now. If you’re not already offering those, I highly recommend you consider them. Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 2:47 pm

16. @Elizabeth Blessing – Sounds like a great plan. I recommend choosing an industry (or two) that you want to target out of the gate. It will make promoting yourself and doing the VSLs much easier if your clients are in the same industry. Keep me posted! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 2:47 pm

17. I've been doing nursing writing for a few decades but want to learn something new and possibly couple it with my nursing/healthcare experience. Therefore, I am going to take Rebecca's suggestion and choose copywriting first. Maybe down the road I will add something new but I need to start where I can have a proven successful income! Thank you!

DawnaFebruary 10, 2014 at 2:52 pm

18. here's a sample of writing-There's a knowing of certain thing's that comes from Gods spirit who spoke the earth stars and universe of the past into time There's also a knowing of our time that comes from Satan and his demons that knows the history of our time and we as mankind go by a clock on the wall we created with our hands known as clocks of time.-just a sample of writing-I have the address wrote down-do not have money to do this at this time.

Guest (zohn meyer)February 10, 2014 at 2:54 pm

19. Hi Rebecca, I found out in Dec that my job will be outsourced as of June 1st. That news prompted me to look at options and while doing so I discovered AWAI. I'm very interested in B2B. It seems a good fit with my personality and style of writing. I'm participating in the Accelerated Copywriting course, the Live Companion series and just purchased the Secrets of Writing High-Performance B2B Copy. Needless to say, I'm a tad overwhelmed but excited about starting down this new path.

PamDymszaFebruary 10, 2014 at 2:58 pm

20. I am interested in pursuing copywriting, with one area of focus being faith-based businesses.

Guest (Barb)February 10, 2014 at 2:58 pm

21. I'm thinking web writing is the path I'd like to go down. I have 11 years of marketing/public relations experience. I have a column in my local newspaper and I've been lucky to land some freelance web writing work drafting articles and corporate executive's profiles, however I'm making basically nothing. I don't seem to be landing any clients with the experience and portfolio of work I have and I'm not sure how to shift my approach.

Guest (Kristen Knobloch)February 10, 2014 at 3:01 pm

22. I have chosen Internet research. I am not really into the writing itself but I enjoy doing research. I would like to also get into proof reading. I have started on the research course but my biggest problem is time! I already work 2 jobs in the racehorse industry and put in 18-20 hour days 7 days a week. My biggest doubt is finding clients and in the beginning knowing what to charge. Also, how do I know that I am giving the client what they are really looking for?

Jackie EFebruary 10, 2014 at 3:02 pm

23. @Dawna – perfect! Plus, your nursing background will be very valuable if you decide to write for the health industry. Of course the next step is to get a foundation in copywriting. - Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 3:06 pm

24. @Zohn meyer – we have tons of free content on the website. The key is still choosing a path you want to follow, and then get moving down it.

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 3:07 pm

25. Hi Rebecca, I have chosen B2B for my niche. I have been going through the courses in that segment.

Guest (Venkat)February 10, 2014 at 3:07 pm

26. @PamDymsza – very cool! I know it’s scary, but it’s an incredible opportunity to take charge of your future, and never be in this situation ever again. I look forward to working with you on the Companion Series, and then helping you get up and running in B2B. The key now is to come up with a plan so you know what you need to do next every step of the way. “See” you Friday! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 3:07 pm

27. @Barb – Excellent! We have put together a group for copywriters with a similar focus. Join us on Facebook in our Christian Copywriter group.

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 3:07 pm

28. @Kristen Knobloch it’s all in going after clients who VALUE the services you provide. You’re working for the wrong clients. Leverage the samples you have, and start targeting clients who value marketing. We’ve got a lot of tools that will help you on Wealthy Web Writer. Let me know if you’re not a member, and I’ll set you up with a trial membership so you can get the info. Looking forward to helping you take your writing business to the next level! I’m a huge fan of web writers :) Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 3:09 pm

29. @Jackie E – If I could give you more time I would. I can certainly appreciate the need for more. But I can help you with finding the right clients and pricing. We have a lot of bonuses as part of the Internet Research program that answer those needs. And often the same clients will be good proof reading prospects too. Finish the program and let me know if you still have questions. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 3:09 pm

30. @Venkat – perfect! Once you’re done with the High Performance program, it’s time to start marketing your services. Awesome bonuses come with it that will show you how to pick a sub-niche, put up your website, and get started. And make sure you join our B2B Facebook group – B2B Copywriters. It’s a great community of very helpful B2B copywriters. Hope to see you there! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 3:09 pm

31. Eight years ago, I received an excellent review on my Six Figure restaurant assignment. I was so excitied. A few days later my 19 year old son died.
    A thousand changes have taken place in our hearts since that day.

So many people make great plans for that "someday", and then not get their chance to enjoy it. We joined World Ventures, which compliments travel writing and photography perfectly. My difficulty is where to submit articles. When I lost my son, I lost a little confidence as well.

Kathleen SiverFebruary 10, 2014 at 3:15 pm

32. @ Kathleen Siver I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t even begin to imagine what you went through.

Every publication has different submission guidelines, so the best thing to do is find publications you want to write for and follow them. In addition, providing thoughtful well-written comments on website that allow comments, can also get you noticed. And the best way to get your confidence back is to start putting yourself out there again. Nothing will get it back faster. You can do it! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 3:18 pm

33. Hi Rebecca I'm brand new to this scene but very excited to explore the possibilities. I think most likely copywriting will be my niche, mostly because I find those straightforward direct response letters very effective and motivating. Frankly, I've purchased products and services from those type of letters myself. I think I could catch on and really enjoy that work. Thanks for jumping right in and getting me started. Let's do it!
    Guy William

Guest (Guy William)February 10, 2014 at 3:36 pm

34. I have decided on B2B and I ordered the course last week and I have started. Thanks Ron

Guest (Ron Eugene)February 10, 2014 at 3:38 pm

35. Just signed up for the Ultimate Travel Writer's Program and am super excited to get started! I am also interested in copywriting, merely for the earning potential.

Guest (Stephanie)February 10, 2014 at 3:58 pm

36. Rebecca, I'm just getting started with the accelerated program but knowing that I truly desire this to become my "full time gig" copywriting is definitely for me although being a web junkie I can also see subsidizing that doing web research here & there!

DaveRFebruary 10, 2014 at 4:03 pm

37. @Guy William – that’s awesome! I’d take it one step further and consider writing for the companies you’ve purchased products from. Who knows their prospect better than you! Keep me posted … Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 4:10 pm

38. @Ron Eugene – fantastic! That’s a great path and Steve is an excellent teacher. Best wishes for success. - Rebecca

@Stephanie – it’s true! Travel writing has a lot of cool perks that go along with it, but copywriters can definitely make a lot more money.

@DaveR – makes total sense. Just make sure you’re spending your time wisely. We’ll be talking more about that this week. :) Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 4:14 pm

39. I have chosen copywriting as my FOCUS. I plan on adding B2B once I get the basics down. Thanks for an enlightening article. My obstacle has always been deciding which way to turn, where to start and what to do first.

Pat BFebruary 10, 2014 at 4:18 pm

40. Hey Rebecca,

For me the only choice is financial copywriting (Both B2B and B2C copywriting) I looked at other markets briefly but the financial market has always been the best fit A. because I find the subject matter intresting and B. it is largely known as the most lucrative.

Guest (Brett Comeau)February 10, 2014 at 4:23 pm

41. I am interested in copywriting/web writing.

Guest (William Ballard)February 10, 2014 at 4:39 pm

42. B2B copywriting has me hooked.

Kim Lynch-StauntonFebruary 10, 2014 at 4:53 pm

43. @PatB – perfect plan! And I believe that’s the first big hurdle most people face. Please reach out if you hit any more and let us help you get “unstuck.” Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 5:07 pm

44. @Brett Comeau - the financial industry is definitely where you’ll find million-dollar copywriters. That being said, B2B in general is a great route to six figures. It’s the industry where six figures is more a “norm,” than an exception. You may want to consider coming to Bootcamp this year – we always attract a lot of financial companies to the Job Fair since they’re so hungry for fresh talent/copy. - Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 5:07 pm

45. @William Ballard – a man after my own heart!

@Kim – B2B is definitely the most accessible opportunity for most writers. I love that you can leverage your professional experience into credibility for your copywriting.

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 5:12 pm

46. My passion would be travel writing and/or romance writing.

From a business standpoint, I'm already a biographical researcher and write donor profiles to help raise money for organizations. Its what I know...but I would rather follow my passion...but would there be more money in internet research/writing?

Guest (Daria)February 10, 2014 at 5:16 pm

47. I'm torn between Internet Research and Copywriting. I'm trying to do 2 online courses- Moneymaking Websites & Copywriting. But I haven't chosen a niche yet. My interests lie with alternative health--I do quite a bit of research for myself and family.

JudyBFebruary 10, 2014 at 5:25 pm

48. Hi Rebecca, First of all, thanks so much for all the very helpful posts. I've been applying what I've learned from them these past few weeks.
    Now, I'm already writing articles for magazines, but as you probably know, the financial stream is more of a trickle at times. I've just started the Accelerated Copywriting Course in order to expand my horizons. So, Copywriting is my focus...for now!

Guest (Rose Di)February 10, 2014 at 5:25 pm

49. @Daria – there is definitely more money in copywriting than travel writing or fiction writing. But it sounds like you need to explore the opportunities and figure out which one fits your needs/preferences most. Check out the article that I link to above. And if you have any specific questions about any of the opportunities feel free to ask! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 5:29 pm

50. @JudyB – you can do all three, but you should focus the majority of your efforts on one of the courses at a time, and setting up that business first. Granted a money-making website can be a great “training ground” for practicing your skills, and a way to write every day. But I highly recommend focusing on getting your freelance business off the ground right away (you can easily offer research AND copywriting services). We’ll focus more on what you need to do this week. Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 5:31 pm

51. @ Rose Di You’re welcome! Commit to that focus for the next 6 months or so at least, to make sure you give it a fair shot. I’ll show you how to divide up your time over the next few days. Exciting! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 5:33 pm

52. Rebecca, I'm gonna copywrite.

Guest (Wes fahlenkamp)February 10, 2014 at 5:42 pm

53. Hi Rebecca, I am in the accelerated program and thoroughly enjoying it. I am planning on copywriting as my primary goal with B2B filling in the gaps. I am a big proponent of the alternative health industry since I use it myself so I plan on pursuing companies in that realm.

JL BurnsFebruary 10, 2014 at 6:04 pm

54. I AM A COPYWRITER! with an emphasis on B2B. I almost completed the "old" Accelerated Course, but with the edit and joining the LIVE Companion series, I am pursuing a "do-over." I will complete it this time in 10 weeks! Looking forward to the doors that will open for me and my family.

Tom SchenkFebruary 10, 2014 at 6:05 pm

55. I've decided. That's progress, right? It's Travel Writing for me. I am about a week into the Ultimate Travel Writer's program and enjoying every minute! Thank you for your informative posts.

gwyngFebruary 10, 2014 at 6:11 pm

56. Thank you for this, Rebecca. I am between careers, and need this to be a full-time income ASAP. I am new-ish to AWAI, and am taking the Companion course for the Accelerated program. I choose copywriting, with a possible B2B focus once I get through the basics. I'm also interested in natural health and self-help as possible specialties. Still need to home in on a niche and figure out how to start making at least some money ASAP.

ColetteFebruary 10, 2014 at 6:14 pm

57. @Wes fahlenkamp – copywriting is definitely the best way to make a living as a writer!

@ JL Burns - all good! The key is to focus on one of those and get the business off the ground, and then add in the others. I don’t want you spreading yourself too thin out of the gate. Keep me posted!! Rebecca

@ Tom Schenk WOOT!! That’s what I like to hear. “See” you on Friday – and make sure you tell us if there’s anything you need a long the way. Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 6:27 pm

58. @ gwyng YES! Deciding what path you will take is huge! Now stay focused on your path. Good luck! Rebecca

@Colette – You’re definitely taking the fast track by taking the Companion Series. Stay focused on B2B once we finish the Accelerated program together, and get your business up and running. Then think about adding in health and/or self help after. That way you won’t dilute your efforts. “See” you Friday!! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 6:30 pm

59. Copywriting was my first choice when introduced to AWAI. Then I got interested in the travel writing program with photography.
    So now I have all three programs and I am interested in copywriting to start and then maybe integrate into travel writing. If honest, I am intimated with copywriting, which is why I have not completed the excelerated program, but this is the year I take control and start my own business as a freelancer. Thanks for sending your email. I made my choice today. Thank you.

Guest ( Karen Brutton)February 10, 2014 at 6:35 pm

60. Hi Rebecca. I chose Natural Health Copywriter. And in about 3 months I will be at the top of the Google rankings for that search term. You watch!
    Shawn Dady

Guest (Shawn Dady)February 10, 2014 at 6:38 pm

61. Rebecca, "the light came on" one day recently while listening to a variety of Boot Camp recordings. I have no doubt that the niche for me is B2B with a specific focus on Maritime shipping and security. Steve and Ed's presentations always resonate deeply with me; the maritime focus simply comes out of life experience.

SJ BartaFebruary 10, 2014 at 6:48 pm

62. Hi Rebecca. I have chosen the copyright niche and would love to get started earning income as a cooyrighter. I signed up for the 6 week acceleration course but not really sure if I am getting the full impact of the course. I probably need more hands on, one-on-one attention. I am ready to learn all that I can and get my business up and running, especially since I was recently laid off from my job. Please help!

Anitra Writes February 10, 2014 at 7:03 pm

63. @ Karen Brutton Good! Now that you’ve made your choice, stay focused and follow through. And let us know what you need to keep you moving forward, or if you get stuck along the way. We’re here to help! Rebecca

@ Shawn Dady You’re a rock star! And I know you’ll do it. Keep me posted along the way to the top. I love to help celebrate :)

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 7:05 pm

64. @ SJ Barta Now THAT is a focused niche. Good for you!! Please continue moving down the path and let me know what we can do to help you succeed. Go, go, go! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 7:08 pm

65. @ Anitra Writes – do the exercises in the program – all of them! That’s the best way to ensure you learn the principles on a deeper level. Connect with your fellow members on the Groupsite forum and on Facebook. And possibly consider joining us for the Companion Series – it’s where Katie Yeakle and I walk you through the program over the course of 10 weeks. We’re only one session in, so you could easily catch up. Call Member Services if you want more info at 866-879-2924.

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 7:08 pm

66. Hi Rebecca, I've chosen copyrighting. I'm currently a student abroad but it is very difficult to get employment that pays as well as the job I left in the US. So I'd like to start there and eventually make my way into travel writing.

VivienneBFebruary 10, 2014 at 7:15 pm

67. Hi Rebecca, thanks for all the encouragement you provide. I'm torn on which niche to get into. I started the Accelerated Program but need to get an income going, I made a choice and now I'm working on the Internet Research Program. I'm working on the photography programs. Hopefully I can get to a place where I can get some income going. I struggle time aspects and I'm working on a goal sheet. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated. Oh, I'm working on Nick's web program also!

Guest (Mike W)February 10, 2014 at 7:33 pm

68. Hello Rebecca, Help Please! Ideally I'm interested in the travel writing option but first I'd like to get a solid income with copywriting. I'm just trying to figure out *what* kind of copywriting will if me best and be the most profitable...

EMJFebruary 10, 2014 at 7:43 pm

69. @VivienneB – copywriting is great because you’ll be able to work for US companies, even though you’re living abroad. I high recommend you connect with other AWAI expats on Facebook and on the groupsite forum. Keep us posted! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 8:17 pm

70. @Mike W – you’re welcome! But I have to say you’re taking too many programs at one time. It will be much easier to make real forward progress if you focus on one. So choose one path, set up your business, and just focus on that for the next few months until you’re making money. Then you can add in other things. If it were me, I’d go the web writing route. And there are LOADS of bonuses with Nick’s program on how to get your business started. Good luck!! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 8:19 pm

71. @ EMJ –it sounds like you need help choosing a niche. There are loads of free articles on the AWAI website on the topic that will help you decide. And Pam Foster has a great niche program too if you need more help (it’s in the AWAI catalog). The key is being able to easily identify companies you’d want to work for – that’s how you know you’re onto the “right” niche. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 8:25 pm

72. I'm doing the first step, and I'm taking your advice, so I'm choosing copywriting. By the way, I've actually started with the Accelerated Copywriting program but somehow I wasn't able to pursue it. Now, I want to get back into it but I just don't know how.

JackruFebruary 10, 2014 at 9:44 pm

73. Rebecca, I appreciate the opportunity to share. This may be too narrow of a niche but I want to do historical non-fiction dealing mainly with transportation subjects (trains, planes, autos, and ships). I would like to dovetail that with travel writing by highlighting museums specializing in these same areas. Does this sound like a workable approach? Thank you!

MikeMFebruary 10, 2014 at 9:48 pm

74. I have been on this journey for a long time. Always saying I want to try writing but not following through. I am a CPA with 25 yrs in public practice and industry. Lost too much time at work instead of with my family. My dream is to retire at 55 (7 yrs away) with a 6 figure salary doing something I really enjoy. My interests are catalogue, motivational, or travel writing with a possibility of B2B writing. My real challenge is jumping off the ledge of possibility into reality.

Julie MarieFebruary 10, 2014 at 9:55 pm

75. @Jackru Perfect timing! We recently revamped the program and you automatically have access to it. All AWAI programs are “Living Programs” which mean you get all updates free – for life! Just login above where you see myAWAI (if you don’t have a login yet, click forgot password). Once logged in you’ll see the revised program. So get started once again, and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised how much faster you move through it this time. Let me know if you need anything along the way! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 9:58 pm

76. @MikeM – it very well could be, although it sounds like you’re interested in being a published author – rather than something like a copywriter. Of course the money will be greater with the latter, but I can certainly appreciate the passion! One idea that builds on yours would be to write copy for companies who buy, sell, and trade vintage pieces. Feel free to message me directly on Facebook if you have more questions - this may require a bit more conversation. Happy to help! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 10:01 pm

77. @ Julie Marie – the easiest transition from your CPA job into a writing career with a six-figure income will definitely be B2B. You'll be able to leverage your 25 years of professional experience. Then you can add in things like travel and motivational after you have the core writing business up and going. My advice is to get started now, so when you’re ready to retire, you don’t have to start at zero. Let us know what else you need to get moving … you don’t have to do this alone. - Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 10, 2014 at 10:08 pm

78. My niche is going to be B2B. I'm going to focus on the industrial market, since I'm currently employed full time in industrial/construction sales. Think it's a logical transition to make. My biggest challenge is in finding the courage to actually market myself to prospects. That's where I need help- getting out in front of potential clients and making myself known. I think part of it is also being unsure of my abilities and skills.

Pete WeaverFebruary 10, 2014 at 10:22 pm

79. Hi Rebecca!
    My choice is copywriting - specifically I want to do fundraising letters.
    Thanks so much for all of your work!

Guest (Nicole )February 10, 2014 at 10:43 pm

80. Hello Rebecca.
    I'm a plod along writer. I've got a voice somewhere but stammer (the writing) when I can't think of what to say. I own the Copywriting course and plan to plod along with it, but I'm also attracted to poetry and some kind of travel related writing. I'm looking for a new way of spinning the travel writing genre to make my writing something new and special. My background is in the "Liberal Arts". Any suggestions on what to read?

Thanks.

Guest (Gary)February 10, 2014 at 10:58 pm

81. Yes, I'm torn. Frankly, I'm just about to break into part two of the accelerated 6 figure income course. Both Ads were amazing, and I seem to have that flare for this type of writing. I can do this!

But now Rebecca is asking me to choose my path, and I'm torn between the B2B and Launching a profitable website (or something like that!)

OK,My comment is in, Back to the grind. (Not really, I'm actually haveing fun. I looking forward to the meat!

Guest (Paul Mark Boddy)February 10, 2014 at 11:07 pm

82. Hi Rebecca. I have chosen B2B. I actually did the "Case Studies" and "Email Newsletters" courses before I did the "6 Figure Accelerated Copywriting" course. Probably the wrong way round, but not to worry. I have a brochure almost complete for one client and a meeting tomorrow to (hopefully) start a case study.

Thank you for all the great information.

Ian BrophyFebruary 11, 2014 at 12:49 am

83. Hi Rebecca,

I just finished the Accelerated program and have been spending reading and absorbing the resources available on PWA, WWW, B2B Writing Success.

I am looking to quit my job and freelance full-time. I am definitely interested in writing for the web in the B2B space.

From white papers to case studies, I know there are several lucrative options, but I am not sure which one is correct for me, which courses to take or where to start.

Your suggestions will be most helpful.

Best, Ria

RiaFebruary 11, 2014 at 2:00 am

84. Hi Rebecca,

My longtime interest is in copywriting (B2B). I purchased the Accelerated copywriting course, I started, but along the way, day-to-days' challenges made it hard for me to complete. I want to re-commit to completing the program, and proceed to the B2B training.

Thanks

Christine MulemeFebruary 11, 2014 at 2:39 am

85. hi , i am interested in copywriting , but have only started down the road on your accelerated program , as im from ireland i am a little unsure as to how i can make it work for me , time will tell i guess .

Guest (gerry)February 11, 2014 at 3:20 am

86. Hi, I am positive that I want to advance in copywriting and if it will take me somewhere else in time, that's fine as well. My concern is that in order to become an expert copywriter I understand that it's advisable to be an expert at something I would like to write about. However, I am no expert and not even a very big reader. Any advice? Thanks you.

Guest (Ruth)February 11, 2014 at 4:58 am

87. Hello Rebecca

So much choice! Currently doing AWAI Live.

B2B - I like the less emotional, more logical approach Self help - I'm finally coming out of a long struggle and want to help others Professional services - I was a psychiatric nurse - many in this field are not good at marketing, I am.
    Christian - I recognise where my guidance comes from Grant writing - I like this idea

All contributions gratefully received.

Guest (David Hands)February 11, 2014 at 5:13 am

88. Hi Rebecca. I've taken the Ultimate Travel Writing Course and the Money-Making Travel Blogs course. I haven't made any money to speak of yet, but I recently lost my full-time job, so it's time to put it into high gear. How I'd love to not go back to a day job. I have a few months to forge ahead and see if I can make a living from freelance writing before I have to "make do" with another JOB.

Guest (Connie)February 11, 2014 at 6:48 am

89. @Pete Weaver – makes complete sense. Often a lack of courage is because people aren't sure what to do next. I highly recommend taking Steve Slaunwhite’s Getting B2B Clients program. He literally walks you through each step as you build your business. And remember, the best way to gain courage is through experience. Even though the first time you reach out will be scary, the second time will be less scary, and so on. Keep me posted – and let me know what I can do to help! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 6:51 am

90. @Nicole – excellent! And you are more than welcome. Working with our members and helping them succeed is what I enjoy most. Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 6:58 am

91. @Gary – there are a lot of questions here! :) Reading and writing poetry will actually make you a better copywriter. And my advice is to hunker down and get through the copywriting program once and for all so you can start building a business. With regards to the travel niche – and coming up with a unique spin – I would spend some time researching companies in the various areas of travel. See if you can find a type of company that excites you – in other words what would be selling? And feel free to message me on Facebook as you start digging in. I’m more than happy to give more direction along the way. Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 6:58 am

92. @Paul Mark Boddy – ha! Stay focused on the six-figure program. That will give you a foundation and make you a better writer - whichever direction you decide to go. It will also buy you some time to figure out your next step (which personally would be B2B copywriting if I were you). Good luck, and reach out if you get stuck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 7:01 am

93. @ Ian Brophy – Awesome! Sounds like you are well on your way. Keep me posted on your successes. We love to help celebrate!! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 7:07 am

94. @Ria – Sounds like you may be stuck in information overload! It’s time to start your business and begin working with clients – and there are roadmaps on all of those sites to help you get started. With regards to the project types, just decide which ones sound like things you want to write, and make a list. That will help you determine which programs to take. But the key is not to get caught up in learning. Start taking on clients now, and continue learning at the same time. There will never be a perfect time to get started … so why not now? Feel free to message me on Facebook, and connect with your fellow members on the membership sites. There are so many people at AWAI who are more than happy to help push you forward. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 7:09 am

95. @ Christine Muleme – Perfect! I would suggest setting a schedule for yourself. “I’m going to finish the Six-Figure program by DATE. Next week I’ll read pages X-X, etc.” Go ahead and detail it out like a class syllabus, taking into consideration your personal schedule. And then do the same for the B2B program. Having a plan will help you move forward. And if you fall off the plan (it happens!), get back on as soon as possible, and continue on. You can do this – and I’m here to help if you get stuck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 7:12 am

96. @gerry – Your location won’t matter one bit, as long as you can meet your client’s deadlines. I work with copywriters all over the world. So stay focused and get through the Accelerated program. That’s your first step. And at the end, we’ll show you how to move forward from there. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 7:15 am

97. Hi Rebecca. I think my preference is for B2B but my niche is definitely alternative health as I am a practitioner in that field.I am just about to set up a natural health blog so am working on content.
    I am about halfway through the Accelerated Copywriting course. My problem is knowing where to start to get some income flowing as my finances are not good at the moment.

Guest (Teresa Farrell)February 11, 2014 at 7:19 am

98. @Ruth – you don’t need to be an expert at something in order to be a copywriter. But it is advisable to write about something you enjoy. And while you don’t have to be a big reader in your personal life, you will have to do reading in the industry you write in. It will be hard to be a copywriter and not keep up with what’s going on with the competition, etc. So yes, you can still be a successful copywriter. You’ll just need to figure out what you can see writing/reading about on a regular basis. That’s your challenge for the week! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 7:20 am

99. @David Hands – I certainly can appreciate where you’re coming from. In the 10 years I’ve been with AWAI I’ve wanted to be a copywriter, travel writer, grant writer, B2B writer, you name it. And while many of the above can be combined (like Christian and B2B for example), what I would do is make the list above and rank them. Then start with the one on top. You can always add in other paths, or change direction. But it’s time to choose one and get started. (Personally, if I were you, I’d choose B2B. You’d still be able to leverage your background.) Good luck and reach out again if you get stuck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 7:23 am

100. @ Connie – it’s going to be a lot harder to make enough money to not go back to work with travel writing and blogging. Unless maybe you’re blogging for a client. I think you need to move into something that will allow you to set up a business quickly – like writing newsletters, or doing online content. It’s very possible to get up and running in a couple of months, but you need a very clear plan to follow. Map out the deadline, how much money you need to be making in order to not have to get another job, and then what types of projects/clients could make that happen for you. It’s hard for me to advise you more with out specifics. So feel free to message me on Facebook if you get stuck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 7:29 am

101. I am interested in copy writing.
    #I am a participant in the live Companion series. Looking forward to the completion of this program and how it pans out!

Michael RichardsFebruary 11, 2014 at 7:39 am

102. Hi Rebecca, I'm looking to transition from teaching high school English to working at home. My husband is a pastor, so we move frequently and each time I have to get 're-certified in the state we move to. Done with that. Looking for work that I can do anywhere. Thinking because of lack of finances, I should start with money-making website, then looking at B2B, it looks most appealing. I have plenty of time to devote to this, looking to make a good income. Any suggestions?

dianafrickFebruary 11, 2014 at 8:38 am

103. My niche is going to be healthcare but I am not sure how specific I should make it. I am a cardiovascular technologist specializing in cardiac and vascular ultrasound. Should I specialize in cardiac healthcare or even ultrasound, or be more generalized in healthcare?

TimPFebruary 11, 2014 at 8:44 am

104. @ Teresa Farrell – sounds like you have a good path. The only way to start making money though is to start working for clients. Consider spending time marketing your services, rather than working on the blog. Even though the blog may help you in the long-run, it will take up time that you could spend landing clients who will pay you. If I were you, I would put up a professional profile on LinkedIn, finish the Accelerated program, and start on the High-Performance for B2B Copywriting. At the same time I’d get involved with discussions and groups on LinkedIn where your potential clients are, and start connecting with prospects. It will be a better use of your time and help you build your business faster. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 8:57 am

105. @ Michael Richards – Awesome! When the series is done we’ll help you with your next steps. I’ll “see” you on Friday! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 9:00 am

106. @ dianafrick I actually would recommend doing it the other way around. A money-making website is a good long-term opportunity for making residual income. But you’ll be able to get up and running and create income faster with B2B copywriting. Then once you have the business up and running, you can layer in the money-making website. Hope that helps! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 9:05 am

107. @ TimP I’d start by specializing in cardiac and vascular ultrasound. Research the clients, and start reaching out to them. Then if it seems like there won’t be enough work, expand further out. By specializing initially, your value will be incredibly high to those companies. And you’ll be seen as “the copywriter” in that space. Good luck!! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 9:07 am

108. Hi Rebecca,

I have purchased several courses that have interested me. However, I want to focus on copywriting because I believe it will give me the foundation I need to eventually expand my business to include the other products that interest me. I really believe that the Accelerated Live is helping me to focus on the revised copywriting program. I only completed part one of the previous version before I became distracted by life. I'm determined to complete is course and apply it.

Guest (Kathleen P)February 11, 2014 at 10:25 am

109. I'm committed to copywriting for a variety of reasons, but primarily to buy my way to freedom. I'm convinced the other programs are valid and I'm sure I will be pursuing them at some point. I am a linear thinker though, and tend to approach challenges one at a time.

JimBob from CanadaFebruary 11, 2014 at 10:40 am

110. Hi Rebecca - I'm actually taking a course to get certified in proofreading and copy editing, and am much more interested in the editing end of things, rather than writing. I would rather work for a publishing company to have the stability, but am probably not ever going to have a "portfolio" I can bring to the table. Is it worth pursuing publishers, or do you think I would be able to break into the field more quickly if I did freelance work?

Guest (anonymous)February 11, 2014 at 12:15 pm

111. Started the Accelerated Program for Six Figure Copywriting about 2 weeks ago and I am on track with the 90 day action plan. I am retiring from reserve component military service in 13 months and I will have 10 months in business behind me when that day comes. It feels great. I'm looking forward to this weeks formula for a profitable freelance business discussion with everybody.

DougFebruary 11, 2014 at 12:18 pm

112. Having lost my job a year ago, I joined the Accelerated course in search of a new career, and am now in the Companion course. I'm definitely focused on copywriting. Considering B2B and B2C at the moment, and interested in alternative health, though I'm still pondering a niche. The B2B side sounds very interesting. I do need to get something going as quickly as possible, and am anxious to begin, even in a small way, to bring in some income.

ColetteFebruary 11, 2014 at 12:20 pm

113. Hi Rebecca! I'm one of those who is on the fence in terms of trying to decide what my niche should be. I've been writing all sorts of things most of my life (some for money; some not), and want to go with copywriting, and perhaps with B2B, because I am looking for something that is lucrative without me having to put in 8++ hour days. I am also attracted to B2Consumer, in regards to animals.

Can you help?

Thanks!

Valerie

Guest (Valerie Stocking)February 11, 2014 at 12:20 pm

114. @Kathleen P – I couldn’t have written a better recommendation! You have the exact right idea. I’ll “see” you on Friday! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 1:01 pm

115. @ JimBob – I wish everyone approached things that way! The Six-Figure copywriting program will give you a solid foundation in persuasive writing. And then any other writing opportunity will build on that – should you wish to layer in more. Keep moving forward! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 1:03 pm

116. @anonymous – proofreaders and copy editors don’t typically have portfolios. The key will be marketing your services to clients, and getting them to give you “test run.” That’s the only way they’ll be able to tell if you’re a fit for their business. And whether you’ll be in-house or freelance is completely up to you and the company. So decide what you want, and then market yourself accordingly. And along with publishers, I would also recommend hooking up with AWAI copywriters who are working for clients on copy projects. They often times need to hire copy editors on behalf of the client. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 1:06 pm

117. @ Doug – congratulations! I look forward to hearing about your success along the way, and celebrating your new life in 13 months. Please keep me posted! Rebecca

@ Colette – you’ll definitely want to choose one niche to start so that you can get some forward traction. You’ll find it much easier to market your services that way. We have 8 more weeks in the Companion Series. So make it a goal to have the decision made by then. And then get ready to move! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 1:10 pm

118. @ Valerie Stocking – that’s tough, because the two options are so different. I think the easier route will be B2B. And you can always start there, and then once you’re up and going add in the B2C. You could even start with B2B as it pertains to animals, and then add in B2C within the same industry. If you’re completely stuck, Pam’s program on Picking a Niche is great at getting you unstuck. But again, if I were you, I’d probably say focus on B2B to start. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 1:14 pm

119. Copywriting is my choice but I'm not looking to spend money, I looking to make some. If you can point me in that direction I'd appreciate it.

Guest (Ihopalong)February 11, 2014 at 2:08 pm

120. These posts are great. I'm trying to take more time to read these. I'm in the middle of the 6-figure copywriting course, and love it. I hope to build into B2B soon. Looking forward to your tips!

AshleySukalskiFebruary 11, 2014 at 2:11 pm

121. My niche is B2B + case studies, white papers, & research as specialties - because I enjoy them. Discovered that long, salesy copy isn't my forte but it's been a long haul. Built quite a library of AWAI courses/resources that have helped me figure it out & completed the Accelerated w/the help of the Companion Series. Tackled HomeStudy specs, which was a road to discovery in itself! Also found a fellow AWAI-er who's helping me set up my website. So, thanks to all @ AWAI - 2014 is my year.

JudyB-RaleighFebruary 11, 2014 at 2:31 pm

122. Hi Rebecca I studied the copywriting course and the companion series. I also studied the resume writing course. The path i want to follow can start there but I want to also learn B2B.

Carmen IrisFebruary 11, 2014 at 3:07 pm

123. B2B is my choice! Just starting the course this week. I have a healthcare sales background and would also like to pursue the boating/yachting industry specifically.

Guest (Michelle Gadient)February 11, 2014 at 3:29 pm

124. I appreciate your tips. I have been searching for my niche and have arrived at copywriter. Question is how to make money working freelance. It appears to me a lot is involved in the market to begin with writing killer prospect letters to get clients on board. My daily writing happens mostly at night. My journals have sub heads: news, lessons learned, ideas, good job, and plan for tomorrow. Also am posting weekly blogs. Currently assembling my portfolio and editing old creative copy. Thank you!

HannaKFebruary 11, 2014 at 4:31 pm

125. @ Ihopalong – there are loads of free resources on this website. Just use the search feature above. Granted, any kind of focused training or program will cost money, and often the investment will help you achieve success faster. But you can easily find the information you need without making an investment if you’re willing to spend the time. Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 5:09 pm

126. @ AshleySukalski Awesome!! I look forward to connecting with you in the coming weeks and months. If there’s anything we can do to help you along your journey, please let us know. Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 5:11 pm

127. @ JudyB-Raleigh – I enjoyed reading that last line – “2014 is my year.” Please keep me posted and share your successes along the way. We love to help celebrate! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 5:12 pm

128. @ Carmen Iris – Assuming you haven’t started your business yet, I want you to choose between copywriting and resume writing to start. It will make things easier on you, and allow you to move forward. So make that decision, and then take the next step – marketing yourself! (We’ll cover that later this week). Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 5:13 pm

129. @ Michelle Gadient Awesome! You’re background will make it every easy for you to succeed in B2B. I’d start in the healthcare space, get some clients and projects going, and then add in the boating/yachting industry. You’ll have an even easier time that way. Keep me posted! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 5:15 pm

130. @ HannaK – your next step is defining an industry you want to write for (pets, alternative health, fitness, B2B, etc.), and then researching potential clients in that space. It will make promoting yourself much easier. There are a lot of tips on both choosing a niche that way, as well as how to promote yourself on this website. From there, you start contacting and letting companies know what you can do for them! Good luck, Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 5:18 pm

131. I've selected B2B. Financial Software, IT and Aerospace.

Gary L McEnteeFebruary 11, 2014 at 5:32 pm

132. I want to master Copywriting first as a foundation for Web Writing and Travel Writing, however I love research which is good as this will benefit myself along the way. Who knows, maybe I will find someone who needs a researcher to add to the mix of income. I need a self-sustaining income this year by June, so I am highly motivated and have the time freedom to do so which includes a huge desire to relocate or travel about the planet!

Cheryl DavisFebruary 11, 2014 at 6:32 pm

133. I am going to move from lurking to take you up on your offer. My dilemma is that I need to find a niche that is also not a conflict with my job. I need to diversify and protect my income from employer whims and set the stage for a move into full-time. I am a marketing salesperson for a internet media company.(SEO,SEM,Websites) I work with local businesses, representing products we sell. We do not do any copy writing. I use my website: www.BillBlett.com for credibility and lead generation

Guest (Bill Blett)February 11, 2014 at 9:04 pm

134. @Gary L McEntee - awesome! Although those are three huge industries in B2B. Are you already working in all three? If not, I would choose one to start. You may find you don't need the other two, and it will definitely make promoting yourself much easier. Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 10:04 pm

135. @Cheryl Davis - with the short timeframe, you need to be as focused as possible over the next couple of months. You have the right idea with building a solid foundation in copywriting to start. And from there, I'd add in the web writing next. But I would also recommend promoting your services while you're learning the skills. You need to start working for clients ASAP, so I don't want you to put it off until after you're finished with the training. If you happen to land a client on the first try, just tell them you have an opening in your schedule in a few weeks, and then hustle to finish. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 10:07 pm

136. @Bill Blett - with your background you're going to have a very easy time marketing your services. Make a list of the companies that your employer targets, and then brainstorm all the possible niches you could go after, and compare the two lists. There's bound to be one that doesn't conflict. And if worse comes to worse, just setup a company name for yourself or use a pen name, and do business that way for the time being. As long as you're not "taking business" from your employer, you'll be able to rest easy. Good luck!
    Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 11, 2014 at 10:11 pm

137. My dream is to have a copywriting business with expertise in B2B, Sales, Sports, Career and Education. I'd like to be a Web Writer, Resume Writer, Direct Mail Writer, and company blogger. Those are my long term goals. I'll admit...I have a bit of apprehension. Not because I don't think I'm a good writer, but because I want to have the right time to dedicate to perfecting my craft and becoming an expert in all that I mentioned above. I just need to figure out when and where to start...

Carlos JFebruary 12, 2014 at 12:24 am

138. Hi Rebecca, tnks 4sendin me dis article,nd all d previous guide for B2B copywriting,I tink I hav decided to stick to d B2B for now

Once again tnks a million

Inspire

InspireFebruary 12, 2014 at 7:08 am

139. I purchased the Internet Research Specialist package. I believe Research could lead into copy-writing. It would help me decide on a niche and type of writing. Learning Research will help me write content for my own retail websites. It provide much needed income and make my websites more likely to produce sales. With the income plus the writing experience I can later expand into copy-writing. Is this a good plan?

Frederick GardnerFebruary 12, 2014 at 9:41 am

140. Hi Rebecca, I've chosen Web Copywriting and just coming to the end of Nick's Web Copywriting 2.0 course. I believe it gives me the opportunity to be able to work from anywhere in the world I happen to be. However, I'm stuck on choosing a niche. My background is in sports and there are so many directions you could go. To me it's like 'the kid in a candy store.' Which way do I go? I believe Sports is a huge industry. Any ideas would be appreciated to point me in the right direction/decision. ThkU!

Marcellus GreeneFebruary 12, 2014 at 10:32 am

141. Rebecca...Thank you! Your message came at a very good time for me. I have decided TODAY...I am an internet research specialist for writers. I have the program access, and am committed to absorbing the material and launching my service this week.

Chris FrayFebruary 12, 2014 at 1:07 pm

142. @Carlos J - the reason you feel apprehensive is because that's a very long list! Choose one thing first, like B2B, get that up and running, and then move on to the next thing. It's too hard to tackle lots of paths at one time. You end up diluting your time and feeling overwhelmed, while never making any forward progress. I love aggressive goals, but you still need to tackle it in pieces. It's like the saying goes, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!" Good luck, Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 12, 2014 at 2:20 pm

143. @inspire - B2B copywriting is definitely the most accessible path for most writers. It's the one I recommend most. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 12, 2014 at 2:21 pm

144. @Frederick Gardner - it absolutely can be a good plan. Doing research is an important step in copywriting. And as you say, it may help you choose a niche for your copywriting business. That being said, it's perfectly ok to just stick with research too. So get started there, and see where the path takes you. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 12, 2014 at 2:22 pm

145. @Marcellus Greene - web writing is a great choice, and I like that you're staying in the industry where you already have expertise. It will make marketing yourself much easier. As far as further defining your niche, make a list of the various "pieces" of the sports industry. Where are all the places money exchanges hands? Then choose a few of those, and do a little research on the companies. See what kinds of marketing they're doing, and if you feel it's something you want to do, and/or if you see an opportunity. From there, rank the ones you want to pursue, and get started with the first one. You may find you don't need the others! But if you do, then you'll move on to the next. Hope that helps! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 12, 2014 at 2:25 pm

146. @Chris Fray - WOOT! Happy to see you make a decision, and that you're moving forward with launching your business. It's that important step that moves you forward towards the writer's life. Good luck and keep me posted! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 12, 2014 at 2:27 pm

147. I purchased the Accelerated 6 Figure course only a couple of days ago. I have done a lot reading so far and seem to gravitate to the B2B and Web Writing models. I am a graphic designer (30+ years), so a web business might fit pretty well. I've also owned a brick-and-mortar print shop and trade type/design shop, so the B2B interests me. Additionally, I am a musician (violinist), so some kind of business model that involves music would be a good fit. So many interests -- so little time. I'd really like to replace my income and stop the commute within the next 12 months. Your input would really be appreciated.

Michael MFebruary 13, 2014 at 2:44 pm

148. Hi Rebecca, I'm strongly thinking about going down the B2B road. As an attorney, I'd naturally like to focus on the legal services market. Do you see plenty of opportunities there and, if so, do you think my background would be a big plus in attracting those clients? Either way, 2014 is my year - I'm tired of talking - taking ACTION is what it's all about! Appreciate any thoughts from you and/or the community!
    Thanks!
    David

David SchraderFebruary 13, 2014 at 2:51 pm

149. I've chosen copywriting for both Self-Help and Fitness niches. I suspect there will be plenty of overlap between the two. I am working on tailoring my General Copywriting website for these niches, and working on a potential client list. I enjoyed meeting you at the last Boot camp! Thanks!

Guest (Dan F)February 13, 2014 at 8:06 pm

150. @Michael M - whether or not you go with B2B, you can still incorporate web writing (and design!) into the mix. So plan on doing that either way. But I honestly would push you towards B2B based on what you shared above anyways. Get started there, and focus just on that for at least 6 months. If you take the High Performance B2B Copywriting program and Getting B2B Clients, you'll have everything you need to launch your business. And you could easily be up and running w/in a couple months. Good luck and keep me posted! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 13, 2014 at 9:37 pm

151. @David Schrader - I don't know enough about the industry to give you any insights on whether there's enough opportunity in it, but your legal background will make you attractive to many B2B niches. If you have the B2B program, I recommend looking at the bonus by Steve Slaunwhite on choosing a niche. And if you don't there's other material on this website that can help you. Although with your expertise, having someone like Steve to guide you would be very beneficial. Good luck to you - I know a few lawyers turned copywriter who have had great success. Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 13, 2014 at 9:41 pm

152. @Dan F - I'm sure there will be some overlap, but there's so much opportunity in each of those industries you may want to choose one to start with. There are even lots of "sub-niches" within those two if you wanted to get even more focused. So choose one and focus on it for a few months, and then plan to layer the other one in. I think you'll have a much easier time getting some traction. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 13, 2014 at 9:43 pm

153. I have been looking for this guidance since I started AWAI. There's a lot to read and I get overwhelmed with the info. Now I feel like I have a launchpad. Copywriting it is!

JBEFebruary 15, 2014 at 10:56 am

154. This is such a great email from you. I want a Profitable Freelance Business for sure. What's holding me back?
    *Can't figure out a niche to begin with.
    Here is what I love:
    Christian writing: inspirational, slice of life articles.
    Copywriting: I love it.
    Have one client now for whom I produce a weekly newsletter that goes out to 200 agents.Love that too.
    Enjoy reading and writing motivational type articles.
    I am a member of AWAI since 2006. Boy, do I love the programs and I have several of them.

Guest (Barb J)February 15, 2014 at 3:28 pm

155. Hello Rebecca:

I am an AWAI member and have completed the Advanced Copywriting program. However, one thing that was left out was the fact that most clients want an experienced copywriter, one who has several years of experience. How does a novice copywriter get over that particular important hump? I can't explore niches or expand my skills if I can't get clients due to lack of experience. Please advise.

Guest (Alma)February 16, 2014 at 12:24 am

156. Rebecca, I have taken the B2B Program and Accelerated Copy writing classes. I have chosen my niche to be in the B2B space with an emphasis on Alternative Energy (solar, wind, electric vehicles), Chemicals, Utilities, and Environmental since I have background in all of these industries. I want to focus my services on very technical product/services which need to be communicated to non-technical people. My primary concern is as a newbie copywriter how do I cater my offerings to these niches?

Tony GreenFebruary 16, 2014 at 2:02 pm

157. I have just started the Accelerated course and Companion programs. Ihave been jumping from wanting to do one thing, then read a different article and want to try that one. My desire is to write grants and do fund raising, but finally decided to put them on hold until I get established in b2b. I really am not comfortable sharing what I want to specialize in just yet, but it is a narrowly focused area. Thanks to you and everyone else at AWAI for all the help, guidance and encouragement so far. Already working on saving up for boot camp. See you there!

Guest (TomB)February 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm

158. A money making website will be first thing after completing the Accelerated course & companion series...then on to B2B. White papers & Case studies is where I want to start.
    Time to start saving for my first Boot Camp!
    Rebecca, do I have my priorities straight?

Tom BFebruary 17, 2014 at 5:46 pm

159. Hi Rebecca:

It is definitely copywriting to start for me. While I see things I like in the other businesses I do not think they are right for me.

Ed

Guest (Ed)February 17, 2014 at 8:41 pm

160. I'm diving into the online health market and travel writing. The health market is my primary market and online I can get the feedback data for constant improvement. The travel writing is for fun and to make a buck from vacation adventures.

I look forward to finding out where these customers are who are supposed to pay good money. Six months monitoring Elance and Guru and all I see are 300 word articles for $1.50 (saw that one today)

Drjay51February 17, 2014 at 9:15 pm

161. @JBE – awesome! And as you get moving down that path, reach out if you get stuck. There is a TON of information available, and I don’t want that to hold you up. And I’m glad you said something about being overwhelmed – that’s something we can work on at AWAI. So thank you! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 19, 2014 at 11:21 am

162. @BarbJ – sounds like copywriting is perfect for you. I’d combine Christian and maybe self help. Or start with one, and then add in the other. You already have a great start – now you just need to leverage that one client’s projects into more. There’s no wrong answer here … just pick a niche to target and start promoting your services! (Ideas for that here: http://www.awaionline.com/2014/02/ways-to-build-your-business/) You should also join our Christian Copywriter group on Facebook. Good luck to you – and keep me posted! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 19, 2014 at 11:24 am

163. @Alma – sounds like you need some help promoting yourself. Most companies don’t care about how long you’ve been working, but rather whether or not it looks like your writing is a fit for their business. So make sure you have some samples to show them if they ask (you can create some using the projects in the revised copywriting program), and make sure you have a website that shows you’re a professional. No one ever needs to know that you’re just starting out. If you want to email me I have another resource I can share with you that will help – or connect with me on Facebook. I want to get you moving forward! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 19, 2014 at 11:30 am

164. @Tony Green – you’re not a newbie! You have an incredibly valuable background that you’re bringing to the table. Clients don’t need to know that you’re new to copywriting. Represent yourself as a professional, and then as you land projects, refer back to the B2B program to help you do the work. After a few projects, you’ll forget how long you’ve been writing B2B copy.

Now as far as your offerings go, do some research in the industry to see what types of copy they’re using (case studies, white papers, etc.) and decide which ones you want to write. You can also just promote yourself as a B2B copywriter and the clients dictate the types of assignments you’ll take on. Hope that helps! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 19, 2014 at 11:34 am

165. @TomB – it sounds like you’ve come up with a great plan. Now just stay focused, execute it, and don’t allow any “bright shiny objects” to distract you. I hope to meet you at Bootcamp! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 19, 2014 at 11:35 am

166. @Tom B (not sure if this is a different Tom, or the same person I just responded to above) – but regardless, I would skip the money-making website right now, and dive into B2B wholeheartedly the minute you finish the Companion Series. That way you’ll have good forward progress, and start working with clients (and making money) well before you come to Bootcamp. A money-making website is something you can and should do in your spare time. But I like people to focus on one thing when they’re first starting out, so they make a lot more forward progress out of the gate.
    Good luck and see you in October! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 19, 2014 at 11:38 am

167. @Ed – good! Now get moving and stay focused on your copywriting. The first step is to take the Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting. That’s all you need to get started as a working copywriter. Good luck! Rebecca

Rebecca MatterFebruary 19, 2014 at 11:39 am

168. @ Drjay51 – you’ll find much higher paying assignments by picking the companies you want to work for and going to them directly – rather than responding to ads on elance and guru.com. We have loads on content on how to find high-paying clinets on this website, and I also recommend checking out Marketing Confidence (program) for more.

I can’t believe people are still posting copy to their website written by people who would do the work for $1.50. You get what you pay for!

Rebecca MatterFebruary 19, 2014 at 11:42 am

169. Rebecca,

I was initially interested in the Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting, but I was unable to purchase at that time.

Now I'm especially interested in the new program: How To Make Money As A Social Media Expert.

Is there any way I can purchase the first program and then "upgrade" incrementally to the Social Media Expert?

Please help!

Mike "Loco E" Social Media Apprentice

p.s. I do appreciate the email tips on starting my new copywriting career

Guest (Mike Loco E)May 13, 2014 at 2:29 am

170. Hi Rebecca

Copywriting - got the Six-Figure course in 2012 (plus some other courses since) and haven't looked back.

But here's a surprise...

My first paying gig I accepted $35 for a 500 word article -- and had to chase the payment!

My fault for lacking the confidence to go for bigger paying clients.

Fixed that issue by building the courage to ask the very next client for $800 for 1,000 words.

He never even flinched!

My third client I asked for even more - and requested full-payment in advance - both of which he gladly accepted.

I recommend copywriting - confidence next - and the courage to ASK!

Mike SearlesSeptember 19, 2014 at 5:06 am

171. Hi Rebecca,

I've decided that my 2 areas of interest are Resume Writing and Direct-Response writing. I like and enjoy crafting effective resumes and I like to write persuasively. I'm in both of the programs, but I struggle with finding the right niche for copywriting. What do you recommend that would help me tailor my interest for a specific niche?

Carlos JSeptember 19, 2014 at 12:32 pm