Cleansing and Fasting: Not Just for Health Nuts
How a Mental Cleanse and Media Fast Will Give
You Clarity and Energy to Hit Your Goals

If you eat well and you're in reasonably good shape, what I'm about to describe could make you sick.

Imagine you stopped eating fruits and vegetables. Instead, you started scarfing down doughnuts, cakes, and cookies.

No more good fats like almonds, flax seeds, and avocados. In their place? Greasy bacon, cheeseburgers, and whole milk.

The multivitamin your doctor recommended? You dump that and start eating Froot Loops every morning (fortified with vitamins, of course).

How long do you think you could sustain your new eating habits? Well, you could probably go for a long time before you noticed health problems.

But you certainly wouldn't be operating at peak performance levels.

The result of poor choices

Even though you could get by on that diet, you would most likely be mired in muck.

Your body fat percentage would increase, your energy would decrease, and your organs and systems would operate at less than capacity.

Not good.

So what does this have to do with you and your writing?

Just like our diets, our mental intake can have either a positive or negative impact on our business and our life.

Ingesting too much mental "junk food" prevents us from operating at maximum efficiency. We simply can't be our best when our minds are clogged up like bad arteries.

Three problems that can lead to a mental (and often financial) slump

I've experienced and overcome these challenges myself, and I've helped other writers defeat them, too. Let's discuss the problems first, then the solutions below.

1. We become "gunked up" with stuff that doesn't contribute to our success.

Here's what I mean. I love following baseball, football, U.S. politics, and global economics. If I could find a way to get somebody to pay me just to read about those four things and spout off my opinions, I would.

But right now, none of those things help move me toward my goal. Keeping track of the daily box scores or the foreign exchange markets won't help me become a better web copywriter. (Although if I were a financial newsletter writer, it probably would.)

With our diets, it takes extreme discipline (at least for me) to eat broccoli and spinach instead of cookies and crackers.

Same thing with our mental diets. It's easier and more fun to surf ESPN.com or CafeMom.com than to create and implement a new email marketing campaign, right?

2. We have too many distractions in general.

The Internet is probably the biggest culprit, but when you work from home, everything is a distraction.

I like order and structure. I can think clearer when my house, garage, and yard are neat and tidy. When they're not, I have a tendency to get easily pulled into mindless chores that waste my time, like organizing my garage or trimming my hedges.

3. We have too many options and not enough direct guidance.

I love buying informational products, and I don't regret any money I've invested in them.

As a result, I have a huge library of resources that I refer back to often. The problem is, I could spend countless hours poring over various programs. Each one would help me in some way, but on any given day, I don't know where to spend my time.

Unless you're booked up with client work 40-50 hours a week, how do you decide how to spend each spare hour of the day? I wish I had my own expert guide to tell me exactly where and how to spend my time each day.

Have you had any of these three problems? Have you ever felt stuck in a situation because your brain was overloaded with distractions, options, and "mental junk food"?

How do we fix these common but almost addictive problems?

The solution: cleanse, fast, and rebuild

I'm not a nutritional expert, but if I wanted to push the "restart button" on my health, I would cleanse, fast, and rebuild.

I'm going to suggest the same routine for getting out of a mental slump. Put these three steps into action, and you'll be able to wipe the slate clean, start fresh, and build momentum in a new direction.

Step 1: Cleanse

In health terms, a "cleanse" removes toxins and sometimes excess fat from the body.

Our "mental cleanse" is similar. We want to clean out or purge things from our life that we no longer use or don't benefit from. The goal is to increase our energy for our big objectives and become leaner and more focused on what matters most.

Start with your house, then your office, then your desk, and finally your computer files. Get rid of anything that doesn't make you happy, make you money, or that you haven't used in the past year.

You don't have to go overboard like I did, but a year ago, I rented a big metal dumpster and got rid of anything I hadn't used in the previous 12 months. I gave away books and CDs, sold a few things on craigslist, and deleted files.

I hired a lawn company to come in and make the lawn and landscaping look good and take away debris that had been building up.

It was the most exhilarating feeling! I immediately gained mental clarity and focus.

It also helped with my problem of getting off schedule to organize and clean up. Overnight, my productivity increased.

Step 2: Fast

Fasting is abstaining from something for an extended period of time. It usually refers to avoiding food, drink, or both.

Research suggests that fasting offers many health benefits, including detoxification, a heightened immune system, and a feeling of rejuvenation. It's a controversial practice, but I've experienced these benefits myself on extended fasts up to seven days.

Perhaps that's one reason I'm a big believer in fasts of other kinds, too.

Are you open to something radical? Try going on a media fast for 30 days.

No newspapers, no Internet news, no radio or television news. Nothing.

You may want to start this one after November 6 for obvious reasons. But after that, think about it. How much of the news is positive and uplifting?

If you absolutely must get your news fix, here's what I did for a year: I got all my news from watching Jay Leno's opening monologue and Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update. Seriously.

I'm not saying give up all your hobbies. I still watch football and follow politics in my spare time, but I have drastically cut down on the news.

The benefits of a media fast? A more focused, clearer, and happier mind. Plus, more time devoted to things that increase your skills and your income.

Step 3: Rebuild

Now, we're getting to the fun part!

You've mentally "cleaned house." You've gotten rid of distractions and clutter, you've become more focused, and you're rejuvenated. You've moved beyond any negative situations or emotions from a previous slump, and you're focused on bigger and better days ahead.

The last step in building momentum toward your new goals is to rebuild with good stuff.

If you went on a "master cleanse" and then a serious 14-day fast, you'd start fresh by eating a clean, pure diet, wouldn't you?

I encourage you to do the same here.

Get on a daily regimen that includes a good diet, exercise, and positive mental stimulation (15 minutes of your favorite inspirational or personal growth book).

Write out your goals in detail and read them every day. AWAI member Mike Crespo did this recently and within a week reported, "Big things in the hopper!" He had a new client, an ongoing speaking gig, and an optimistic outlook already for next year.

Finally, come up with a "stretch goal" for 2013. Something big and bold that you can let percolate in your brain for a couple of months before the new year hits.

Mine? Add to my first book with three more titles in 2013, and then hit the speaking circuit. (I told you it has to be bold.)

What a lean, energetic, enthusiastic writing machine looks like

After cleansing, fasting, and rebuilding, I promise you'll have more confidence and a renewed sense of energy.

You'll operate with a sense of guided purpose, you'll be focused on new targets, and you'll build momentum to finish the year strong.

Clients and prospects will sense something different about you, too.

My last words of advice: you could wait until January 1 and join the herd of people who will be cleaning out the old and ushering in the new.

But why wait?

You've got a cleansing and fasting program to get started on. Do it now.

Enrollment Open for AWAI’s Infinity Program

Pay one low price and have “anytime access” to any book, program, or resource AWAI offers – both now and anytime in the future with AWAI’s Infinity membership. Hurry! Enrollment ends November 21st at midnight.

Published: October 2, 2012

20 Responses to “Cleansing and Fasting: Not Just for Health Nuts”

1. This is awesome stuff, Steve! Thanks for posting.

AimeeOctober 2, 2012 at 2:09 pm

2. I, for one, am doing it now. LOVE it.

CyndeeOctober 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm

3. Fantastic article Steve! It's quite synchronistic for me as I began my "media fasting" about a week ago. The same for my diet, exercise and I start and end my day with a long list of thank yous!

Whenever I find myself wanting to go back to an old habit I ask myself one question.
    "Is this going bring me closer to my goals or farther away?" Works like a charm and keeps me from wasting time.

Thanks for your article lots of great tips!

ShirleyOctober 2, 2012 at 5:11 pm

4. Thank you for contributing this article and I really enjoyed reading it.

People have been fasting for thousands of years in India.

Fasting is a recommended by Ayurveda, the ancient branch of Vedic Science.

Fasting has been made popular to western audiences in recent times by Dr.Deepak Chopra and others.

Although fasting is controversial, it does have health benefits and Mahatma Gandhi is a good example of this habit.

In my case, I have stopped consuming as much as I used to, and this new habit has had remarkable benefits for my life.

Archan MehtaOctober 2, 2012 at 6:14 pm

5. Going on a Games Fast for 30 days. Yikes, but will be good for me.

Guest (Penny)October 2, 2012 at 8:12 pm

6. Great stuff here Steve. Thanks for sharing.
    Just what I needed to read at 0500 today. Really!

jt robertsOctober 3, 2012 at 5:08 am

7. @Aimee - You're welcome!

@Cyndee - Great, keep it going.

@Shirley - It all works together, doesn't it? I find when I work on one area of my life it filters into the others. Best wishes with the media fast, diet, exercise, and gratitude habit.

@Archan - You're right, it is an old practice dating back a few thousand years B.C. There's something to be said for controlling consuming, too.

@Penny - Good luck with that!

@jt - You're welcome, fellow early riser.

Steve RollerOctober 3, 2012 at 5:16 pm

8. Great article! I'm still working my way through the "Six Figure Copywriting" course, so this is great information for me. I came to the conclusion a week or so ago that I needed to "fast" from TV in the evenings. I cancelled my satellite TV service and have "found" a lot more productive time. And, yes, I am also de-cluttering my life, my house, my garage, etc. It's so liberating! We tend to become owned by our stuff, and once we prune the dead wood, we can grow and flourish. Cheers!

JodyOctober 4, 2012 at 11:26 pm

9. The news thing is tricky... on the one hand, it's obviously valuable to have an arsenal of current events references to use in your copy. On the other, it's a deceptively mindless (and usually negative) source of stimulation.

Great post--everyone should focus more on figuring out what they really *need* as opposed to simply what they want.

James HoustonOctober 5, 2012 at 12:18 am

10. @Jody - Thanks for sharing, great that it's working for you, too! Besides clearing junk out, one of the other things I like about giving nice stuff away (or selling it) is that someone else usually finds great value in things that I'm no longer using.

@James - You're right, it's a balance. I try to stay informed enough to be able to have cursory discussions or use it in my copy, but not immerse myself where it consumes my time and my thoughts.

Steve RollerOctober 5, 2012 at 9:58 am

11. Great advice. Cut out all the polysaturated special comments, the transgenic exclusive interviews and the processed talking heads - you know ahead of time what they're going to say, so tune out and tune into yourself and your goals. For a reward, just before I turn out the light a few pages of a really good classic novel. Hemingway, Wharton, Fitzgerald...the ones you hadda read in college. The meat is in the metaphors and the character analysis. Hey, isn't that what we are into?

clareDecember 19, 2012 at 8:14 am

12. @clare - love the idea of revisiting classic novels. Speaking of, I'm looking forward to seeing Les Miserables on the big screen next week, and The Great Gatsby in May of 2013.

Steve RollerDecember 20, 2012 at 12:16 am

13. Great article! Timeless. Very useful. Thank you.

A J LancasterJanuary 16, 2013 at 3:48 pm

14. Thanks, A J.

Steve RollerJanuary 17, 2013 at 11:28 am

15. I totally agree. I prefer not to immerse myself in the negative news stories that are spun every hour on television. This can be very depressing if you concentrate on it too much.

ValerieAugust 23, 2013 at 7:09 am

16. Good idea, Valerie. If something important happens you'll hear about from people. No need to soak in nonsense and negativity all the time.

Steve RollerAugust 24, 2013 at 12:09 am

17. Steve,

That was a great article. I do believe that too much clutter around me and in my head causes distractions.

Just yesterday I purchased a yoga program to rejuvenate myself and last week I started on a nutritional program.

Ironically I got a call today from a client asking me to become more of a strategic partner. I believe that because I cleared out some of my "unneeded inventory" that it opened me up to other opportunities. Thank you for your article. I can relate...

Dede Sindelar

Guest (Dede Sindelar)September 21, 2013 at 2:27 pm

18. Glad to hear it, Dede. Both mentally and physically I need to clean out sometimes. I'm doing it right now, giving away a lot of things that no longer have meaning to me, and it's amazing how new opportunities always seem to appear shortly afterward.

Best wishes. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you.

Steve RollerSeptember 23, 2013 at 11:47 am

19. Very good article Steve. I read it while snacking on bon bons and drinking soda pop. Just kidding. I was actually eating popcorn, which is as healthy as a snack gets I guess.

I travel a lot and when I came home for 30 days in July I did not have the cable reconnected. It was rather liberating. I didn't miss it that much, except for a few of the sporting events.

I get my news-feed on my smart phone. I read the headlines and click on the link if I want more info.

I've recently had the urge to purge in my house. I am committed to filling up my large garbage can every week (I live alone). I just have way too much stuff. It's been very liberating and definitely has a mental benefit.

I love the writing analogy with fasting and cleansing!

Thanks again!

Guest (CK Williams)November 8, 2013 at 6:00 pm

20. CK Williams - Thanks for your message. I'm like you - I only skim the headlines, and yet I know about almost everything going on in the world, and in my community, that's important. There's a lot of junk I miss, I'm sure, but it has no bearing on my life.

Just this weekend I decided to start cleaning out again. My goal is to give away one thing every day (on average) for a year. I operated much better when I'm "traveling light," even if it's at home.

Best wishes with your house purging!

Steve RollerNovember 11, 2013 at 10:05 am