57 Things Other People Want From Life
If a genie suddenly appeared and offered to grant you a single wish, what would you say?
Most people answer, “Money!” and name a huge amount. But money is fleeting. And it does nothing for you unless you spend it on something meaningful … which brings you back to square one:
What do you really want?
I get flummoxed deciding what to eat for dinner, let alone figuring out what I want in life. Luckily, a lot of brainstorming comes in handy — especially when prompted by outside ideas. That’s why I’ve compiled this list of things other people want in life.
I’m not saying you should want what somebody else does. But maybe by reading through these varied replies I’ve gleaned from friends and other sources, it’ll stir up some fresh ideas for you.
And while you’re brainstorming, remember that no idea is too big for someone living the writer’s life. You don’t face the same constraints other people deal with. Unlimited income potential and the freedom to work when and where you choose give you enormous freedom. Your biggest hurdle is deciding what you want and then going after it.
So if the question, “What do you want in life?” leaves you stumped, you can at least get your goal-oriented juices flowing by taking a look at the list below.
But before you start, do me a favor. Really read through this list and note the things that you might want. Goal-setting is something that takes focused thought. It’s easy to brush it off and say you’ll do it later, but then chances are good you’ll never get back to it.
Just remember, the payoff could be huge if you really put some effort into this. So here is your idea-generating list of 57 things other people want from life:
- Big house
- Nice car
- Fashionable clothes
- Plenty of money for dining out
- A big enough budget for luxury travel
- Thin friends
- An attractive spouse
- To neither look nor feel fat
- To eat whatever you want without gaining weight
- To hold your own in a political conversation
- To learn to dance without looking stupid
- To be attractive as you age
- To be the life of the party, at least once
- To know what you want and have the confidence to go after it
- Visit every continent
- Speak a foreign language — fluently
- Learn how to take professional photographs
- Go scuba diving, cliff diving, or skydiving
- Live in a beautiful, serene place
- Volunteer in a disaster zone
- Go to a major sports championship, like Wimbledon
- Pilot a plane
- Spend New Year’s in New York City
- Have at least one true best friend
- Feel relief from social judgment
- Reconcile with an enemy
- Be remembered in a positive way after death
- Know that you made a difference in someone else’s life
- Feel important to others
- Know yourself and feel centered
- Live each day without regret
- Quiet self-limiting thoughts
- Reach a fabled level of success that makes you untouchable
- Create a positive work/life balance
- Feel as capable as others think you are
- Be more productive with each minute of the day
- Be recognized as talented or even brilliant
- Pursue your calling while supporting your family financially
- Publish a book
- Make enough money to care for aging parents
- Write a screenplay that gets picked up as a movie
- Start every morning with a leisurely cup of coffee instead of a rushed, chugged one
- Travel the country in an RV
- Have satisfying, regular sex
- Not be afraid of intimacy
- Have many children and grandchildren
- Stay married to the same person
- Find meaningful work
- Find the best piece of pie, ever
- Give your dog a really happy life
- Grow old without losing your mind or control of your body
- Recover from a painful or debilitating disease
- Not die from a painful or debilitating disease
- Have plenty of energy to enjoy each day
- Age gracefully, without wrinkles and without going bald
- Find a way to enjoy exercise
- Finish a marathon or an ironman triathlon
By reading the goals listed above, you’ll be primed to start thinking about the things that matter most to you. Over the next few days, take note of which goals continue to stand out in your mind. Then think about which of those goals complement the things that make you happiest.
Every time an idea for a new goal comes to you, write it down. Don’t filter out anything — especially if your first reaction to it is that it’s impossible.
That’s the beauty of the writer’s life. Virtually nothing is impossible once you’re able to command an income at the touch of a keyboard, anywhere and anytime.
So think big. Think about the kinds of things in life that are most satisfying and rewarding to you, and then break those things down into specifics. For example, maybe being able to provide well for your loved ones is something you find extremely satisfying.
Build on that by asking yourself what you want to provide. Do you want to send your kids to private school? Make enough money so your spouse doesn’t have to work? Treat the grandkids to a week at Disney World? Provide live-in care for an aging parent?
Once you solidify what it is you want, work backwards. Think about what it’ll take to get it. Then think about the kind of time you’re able to invest in pursuit of that goal. Finally, consider what kind of projects would be enjoyable enough to make the pursuit of that goal pleasant.
Your objective here is to find something that pays the bills but also feeds your spirit. If you’re lucky, the same thing will do both.
If your goal includes making more money, changing careers, or making a living from writing, you should really check out the AWAI 2011 Bootcamp. It’s one of the best places to find inspiration for living a goal-focused life (speaking from experience!). Click here for more information.
FREE Online Training: Get Paid to Write
The demand for good writers has never been higher, and contrary to popular belief, it’s easier than ever to find writing gigs that pay very well by tapping into this $2 trillion industry. All you need to know is where they are and how to land them. I’ll cover all this, and more, on my free training Get Paid to Write: How to Land Paying Gigs Writing Copy and Content. Reserve your FREE spot today!